CAREER PATH AND EDUCATION
In 2021 I completed my Master’s degree in communication, specializing in science, society and public policy through a collaborative master’s program at the University of Ottawa. My thesis focused on online anti-vaccine argumentation in Canada, which resulted in the development of a typology of Canadian anti-vaccination arguments which serves as a tool that public health and communication researchers can use to quickly identify and counter the various types of anti-vaccine misinformation online.
I also hold an Honors Bachelor’s Degree in Health Sciences from the University of Ottawa, obtained in April 2018.
I’ve always had a passion for health and healthcare. And now I am bridging that passion and merge it with the love of communication, public relations, health policy and public health.
More and more I find myself wearing different hats, but hats that have been sewn with the same string. That string is public relations, communication, project management, workshop development and facilitation, health promotion and education, stakeholder engagement and political / social advocacy. All of these are the fields I’ve gained much experience and expertise in, since they’ve been the common denominator in any place I’ve found myself in my exciting career so far.
(photo credit: Julie Oliver / Postmedia)
Public Health Project Officer
Ottawa Public Health
Produced and consulted on French and English internal and external communications products for North America’s most followed public health social media accounts:
- Emergency response messages and alerts
- Creative and engaging social media posts
- Informational web pages, infographics and videos
- COVID-19 vaccination information
- Official media lines and communications from the medical officer of health
Trained 200+ public health nurses and frontline staff in vaccine communications principles, misinformation and vaccine mythbusting, negotiation, and other presentations.
CURRENT COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT
Expert / Committee member on…
- The Patient Advisor’s Network (PAN) Board of Directors
- The Canadian Institute for Health Information (CIHI) expert committee on research projects
- The University of Ottawa President’s Mental Health and Well-being Advisory Committee
Patient Advisor to The Ottawa Hospital and The Ottawa Hospital Research Institute
- Consult on The Ottawa Hospital’s projects and communications
- Communicate and represent the interests, motivations and ideas of patients
- Advise on all patient-related matters from communications to policies
- Develop community engagement plan with researchers to disseminate appropriate information to various target audiences
- Represent patients and The Ottawa Hospital at international conferences
PREVIOUS OCCUPATION (among others)
Public Health Agency of Canada
My roles and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Working within the Youth Policy and Partnership Unit providing policy guidance regarding Canada’s implementation of the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child.
- Providing insights into the Government of Canada’s strategy to address the COVID-19 pandemic issues affecting children and youth.
- Creating and implementing the Centre for Health Promotion’s first summer leadership initiative for new employees and students.
- Often considered the go-to person for tech support, innovative uses of technology, and web / online / programming de-bugging projects for the team.
PREVIOUS COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT (among others)
President, Communications Graduate Student Association étudiante des diplômé.e.s en communication (CGSAÉDC)
- Represent the communications graduate student body at departmental assemblies
- Represent the Communications department at administrative and union meetings
- Organize, with the executive council, activities and conferences that benefit students and professors
- Handle finances in tandem with the VP finance to assure a healthy operational balance
What I like
- Creative writing and critical analysis
- Communication and public relations
- Health and healthcare advocacy
- Giving back to my community and getting involved with startups or local projects
- Metal music (interestingly enough)
- The Ottawa Senators, NHL Team
- The Ottawa RedBlacks, CFL Team
- Double-double Tim Horton’s coffee
- Puns, jokes and memes
- Making a difference